There’s nothing worse than logging on to a work Zoom call and having to see your sallow, shadowed face staring back at you, especially when everyone else on the call looks pristine. Of course, you can adjust your positioning, or add a filter, but investing in a ring light means you’ll always be spot on when it comes to the lighting.
Ring lights (usually a circular design) are made with small LED lights that can change brightness or colour. They can be attached to your computer, phone or a power source via a USB, and arranged above or next to your PC or smart phone to brighten up your photos and videos.
The pandemic increased the popularity of ring lights, with many of us WFH and wanting to look good on video calls. Some of us made TikTok videos in lockdown, too – and what’s wrong with a bit of added light when you’re trying to perfect the latest dance craze?
How to choose the best ring light for you?
Do you want a high-tech professional setup, tripod and all, or would you just like to look a little better on a Zoom call with a couple of different light options?
The cheaper choices are designed for social media and videos calls, and will often come with small tripods and a few different light settings, though not very high-quality ones. The more you pay, the better light source you’ll get.
You also need to think about how much space you have. Say, if you have a tiny desk, which barely fits your laptop, a tripod setup may not be wise, as it will take up too much space.
What size ring light is best?
Most lights are between 8in and 16in in diameter and, generally, the bigger the ring size, the better the light. However, depending on how the light is distributed, smaller lights can work well, too.
How we tested them?
As we opened the boxes, we first tested how quick the ring lights were to set up – because who needs a complicated setup, especially if you’re just about to jump on an important video call? We then looked at how easy they were to use and charge, by testing out the buttons and different lights. Ultimately, we were looking for lights that gave us a visible difference when we took photos and used video-conferencing systems.
The best ring lights for 2022 are:
- Best overall – Zumy video conference light: £32.02, Amazon.co.uk
- Best all-in-one – AirLit multipurpose smart fan, ring light and mirror: £69.99, Robertdyas.co.uk
- Best for teenagers – Fizz Creations selfie ring light and tripod: £19.99, Iwantoneofthose.com
- Best for on the move – Juice Social perfect glow ring light: £14.99, Argos.co.uk
- Best for using with gadgets – JOBY beamo ring light: £44.50, Amazon.co.uk
- Best for professional photos and videos – Fovitec bi-colour LED ring light kit: £89, Wexphotovideo.com
- Best for video calls – Kensington L1000 Bicolour LED Ring Light with Webcam Mount: £41.29, Digitaloutlet.co.uk
- Best for selfies – Smartphone ring light: £6.99, Findmeagift.co.uk