The 10 Best food festivals
Fill your summer days (and your stomach) with our pick of the finest foodie days out, from chilli celebrations to whisky business...
1. Galway Oyster Festival 28–30 September
If you're a fan of a good party, this is worth a look. It combines elements of a fête with "speed shucking" and not a little Guinness.
2. Great British Cheese Festival, Cardiff 22-23 September
There are more than 400 cheeses on offer here: some are local champions, others national winners – all are the very best around.
3. Isle of Wight Garlic Festival 18–19 August
This paean to all things garlicky is a riot, with lots of food stalls, live music, a capacious beer tent and of plenty of arts and craft.
4. Ludlow Food Festival 7-9 September
The oldest and most venerable food festival around has everyone, from army cooks to local big-name Michelin-starred chefs.
5. South Holland Food Festival, Lincolnshire 11–12 August
Set in the grounds of the Ayscough- fee Hall Museum, this features all the usual demonstrations plus children's cooking competitions.
6. Abergavenny Food Festival 15-16 September
There is everything here, from talks with food writers to masterclasses with serious chefs (Pierre Koffman is the star turn this year).
7. FEAST, London 3–5 August
Yes, it's small, in The Quad at Guy's Hospital, but the line-up of chefs cooking includes names from St John, Hawksmoor, Moro and José Pizarro.
8. Loch Lomond Food and Drink Festival 1-2 September
It's haggis a go-go here, along with lots of other traditional foods such as smoked salmon and game.
9. Clitheroe Food Festival 4 August
This showcases 90 local Lancashire producers and has accompanying talks, including some good ones about local food.
10. West Dean Chilli Fiesta 25–27 August 2012
For those who like it hot there's the Chilli Fiesta in West Dean Gardens in Sussex. It's nice and compact with a pleasing atmosphere.
Life & Style blogs
NHS struggling to monitor the safety and efficacy of its services outsourced to private providers
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...