The 10 Best food festivals
Fill your summer days (and your stomach) with our pick of the finest foodie days out, from chilli celebrations to whisky business...
1. Galway Oyster Festival 28–30 September
If you're a fan of a good party, this is worth a look. It combines elements of a fête with "speed shucking" and not a little Guinness.
2. Great British Cheese Festival, Cardiff 22-23 September
There are more than 400 cheeses on offer here: some are local champions, others national winners – all are the very best around.
3. Isle of Wight Garlic Festival 18–19 August
This paean to all things garlicky is a riot, with lots of food stalls, live music, a capacious beer tent and of plenty of arts and craft.
4. Ludlow Food Festival 7-9 September
The oldest and most venerable food festival around has everyone, from army cooks to local big-name Michelin-starred chefs.
5. South Holland Food Festival, Lincolnshire 11–12 August
Set in the grounds of the Ayscough- fee Hall Museum, this features all the usual demonstrations plus children's cooking competitions.
6. Abergavenny Food Festival 15-16 September
There is everything here, from talks with food writers to masterclasses with serious chefs (Pierre Koffman is the star turn this year).
7. FEAST, London 3–5 August
Yes, it's small, in The Quad at Guy's Hospital, but the line-up of chefs cooking includes names from St John, Hawksmoor, Moro and José Pizarro.
8. Loch Lomond Food and Drink Festival 1-2 September
It's haggis a go-go here, along with lots of other traditional foods such as smoked salmon and game.
9. Clitheroe Food Festival 4 August
This showcases 90 local Lancashire producers and has accompanying talks, including some good ones about local food.
10. West Dean Chilli Fiesta 25–27 August 2012
For those who like it hot there's the Chilli Fiesta in West Dean Gardens in Sussex. It's nice and compact with a pleasing atmosphere.
Life & Style blogs
Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
Watching TV after work makes you feel 'guilty and like a failure'
Alien: Isolation preview - If you scream in space, it makes a sound
Xiaomi Mi4: 'Chinese Apple' launches flagship mobile to challenge iPhone
How much independence should children have?
- 1 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 50 books for students to read this summer: From Ernest Hemingway to Gillian Flynn
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...