The 10 Best food festivals
Fill your summer days (and your stomach) with our pick of the finest foodie days out, from chilli celebrations to whisky business...
1. Galway Oyster Festival 28–30 September
If you're a fan of a good party, this is worth a look. It combines elements of a fête with "speed shucking" and not a little Guinness.
2. Great British Cheese Festival, Cardiff 22-23 September
There are more than 400 cheeses on offer here: some are local champions, others national winners – all are the very best around.
3. Isle of Wight Garlic Festival 18–19 August
This paean to all things garlicky is a riot, with lots of food stalls, live music, a capacious beer tent and of plenty of arts and craft.
4. Ludlow Food Festival 7-9 September
The oldest and most venerable food festival around has everyone, from army cooks to local big-name Michelin-starred chefs.
5. South Holland Food Festival, Lincolnshire 11–12 August
Set in the grounds of the Ayscough- fee Hall Museum, this features all the usual demonstrations plus children's cooking competitions.
6. Abergavenny Food Festival 15-16 September
There is everything here, from talks with food writers to masterclasses with serious chefs (Pierre Koffman is the star turn this year).
7. FEAST, London 3–5 August
Yes, it's small, in The Quad at Guy's Hospital, but the line-up of chefs cooking includes names from St John, Hawksmoor, Moro and José Pizarro.
8. Loch Lomond Food and Drink Festival 1-2 September
It's haggis a go-go here, along with lots of other traditional foods such as smoked salmon and game.
9. Clitheroe Food Festival 4 August
This showcases 90 local Lancashire producers and has accompanying talks, including some good ones about local food.
10. West Dean Chilli Fiesta 25–27 August 2012
For those who like it hot there's the Chilli Fiesta in West Dean Gardens in Sussex. It's nice and compact with a pleasing atmosphere.
Life & Style blogs
Other popular areas include Didsbury, Clifton in Bristol, central Cambridge and West Bridgford
Doctors are allowed to have personal beliefs, just as long as these beliefs do not interfere with th...
BBC journalist Justin Webb talks about his experiences of the advances in preventing heart attacks a...
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Food & Drink
£450 - £500 per annum: Progressive Recruitment: BI Developer (SQL Server 2008,...
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...