While this set doesn’t come cheap, it’s the easiest to install, care for, style and fit out of all the clip-in extensions we tried. There’s 21 shades to choose spanning both solid colours and highlighted styles in black, brunette and blonde hair colours. And all are available as 150g of hair that are 16in long.
If you’re looking to add length, body and volume to your hair, clip-in extensions are the fastest way to achieve it. The pre-clipped strips snap onto sections of your own hair at the root and can easily be installed and removed for special occasions, holidays, weddings and whenever you want to switch up your hairstyle.
There’s plenty of options to shop from too, ranging from 100 per cent real human hair to synthetic styles, and ready-made curls to sleek, straight strands that can be clipped in and styled with the rest of your hair. You can also find clip-on ponytails which easily clip on with welts that are simple to conceal, and take just seconds to perfect.
Typically, clip-in extensions are available from 16in all the way up to 28in, weighing anything from 70g to 200g, with each strip often being called a weft. The width of each clip-in extension is also varied, from 1.5in to 6in, 7in or 8in.
Designed for temporary use, they’re ideal as a short-term, quick fix that can allow you to experiment with different hairstyles that will last longer and hold a curl better than your hair may do on its own. Maintenance is fairly fuss-free too, as unless you’ve been somewhere with a strong odour, such as a smoking area, you don’t need to wash them after every use. Just remember to always apply a heat protection spray if you style them with a curling tong or straightener.
If you’re new to wearing clip-in extensions, it’s best to install them in clean hair – any grease will cause them to lose grip and slide out – and section hair, then backcomb the top of where you’re placing them to ensure a better and more secure grip. Styling them should always be done once they’re installed to guarantee a seamless finish with your own hair.
How we tested
We’ve spent the past few weeks putting a range of hair extensions to the test and have found the sets worth investing in. They span different lengths, weights and budgets, and we’ve rated each on how easy they are to clip in, care for and style.
The best clip-in hair extensions for 2023 are:
- Best overall – Extension Professional 16in clip-in hair extensions: £300, Extensionprofessional.co.uk
- Best for highlighted hair – Wildest Dreams clip-in full head human hair extension 22in: £83.99, Amazon.co.uk
- Best for adding volume – Beauty Works deluxe clip-in hair extensions: £140, Beautyworksonline.com
- Best clip-in ponytail – Foxy Locks cappuccino wrap ponytail clip-in hair extensions 12in: £70, Foxylocks.com
- Best for dark roots – Hair Rehab London original clip-in hair extensions: £139.99, Hairrehablondon.com
- Best for adding length – Milk and Blush seamless clip-in hair extensions – deluxe set: £115, Milkandblush.com
- Best for adding length and volume – Easilocks Megan’s bouncy blow HD fibre hair extensions: £53.59, very.co.uk