An organic buy, this product is free from both essential oils and fragrances, which is especially useful if your skin is prone to irritation. There are only six plant oil ingredients, and these include sweet almond, pumpkin seed, argan and vitamin E.
Face oils are a beauty buy offering a multitude of skincare benefits, from soothing easily irritated skin to adding nourishing ingredients and promoting hydration. Designed for use with moisturisers, serums and other skincare, there are plenty of picks to choose between.
Oils offer a protective barrier – so they help to retain moisture by sealing it in. If you’re prone to dry skin or need a hydrating boost, adding an oil into your routine will help other moisturising skincare layers work more efficiently. Preventing the loss of natural moisture too, oils are suitable for skin prone to irritation, sensitivity, acne, dryness and redness.
Depending on your skin type and any concerns, ingredients to look out for include brightening vitamin C, healing rosehip, plumping peptides and soothing vitamin E. If you do suffer from sensitivity, fragrance-free formulas may be best. Meanwhile, those seeking a spa treatment-like oil could go for one with an essential-oil scent.
At which point in the skincare process oil should be added depends on personal preference. According to skin experts, it’s best as the final step, for successfully sealing hydration into the skin’s surface. As ever, it’s still vital to pop an SPF on top, though.
Should your skin be oily, sensitive, combination or dry, oils can also rebalance sebum levels. Not every face oil will serve up the same results, so we’ve been sampling a selection. Spanning across everything from botanical scents and smoothing textures to refreshing formulas and glowy finishes, look no further for our verdict.
How we tested
Our reviewer trialled the face oils in this round-up over several weeks – though she used some of the products in her daily skincare routine for six months or more. To make the final list, the oils needed to be smoothing, nourishing and promote hydration. Read on for our full tried and tested list of best face oils, to suit all budgets.
The best face oils for 2023 are:
- Best overall face oil – By Sarah London hero facial oil: £34, Bysarahlondon.com
- Best face oil for dry skin – Clarins blue orchid treatment oil, dehydrated skin: £38, Clarins.co.uk
- Best soothing face oil – StriVectin multi-action super-b barrier strengthening oil: £62, Strivectin.co.uk
- Best affordable buy face oil – The Ordinary 100% organic cold-pressed rose hip seed oil: £9.70, Theordinary.com
- Best evening face oil – Liz Earle superskin concentrate oil for night: £45, Boots.com
- Best multi-tasking face oil – Lumity skin nutrients facial oil: £52, Lumitlife.co.uk
- Best skin-softening face oil – Ole Henriksen strength hydrabarrier nourishing face oil: £45, Boots.com
- Best face oil for dewiness – Sacred elemental glow face oil: £45, Sacredskincare.org
- Best luxury buy face oil – Perricone MD chia oil: £79, Lookfantastic.com
- Best face oil for acne-prone skin – Dermatology M anti-acne face oil: £75, Dermatology-m.com
- Best vegan-friendly face oil – Kora Organics noni glow face oil: £62, Spacenk.com