The best gaming headsets enhance your time playing your favourite games. They offer great sound quality while feeling comfortable on your head, but it helps if they look good too. After all, no one wants to go to the expense of a shiny new gaming headset that looks ridiculous while you’re streaming to the masses.
Whether you simply want a bit more intimacy while you play or you’re looking to become the next big Twitch sensation, you need the right gaming headset for your system. Different consoles such as the Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch all require slightly different connections, and you might need a headset that also plays nicely with your PC.
As important to consider as gaming mice or gaming keyboards, you want a headset that is comfortable yet practical. They double up as ways in which to listen to music or take calls too so it’s important to think about the style as well as whether you want a traditional wired or wireless headset to wear.
You’ll also want to consider your budget, as it’s possible to spend a little or a lot on the latest gaming headset depending on what you need from it. Whatever your plans, we’ve picked out the best gaming headsets you can buy right now.
How we tested
We tested numerous gaming headsets over the course of at least a month. We used them during regular gaming sessions of Fortnite, Overwatch, Resident Evil Village, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, and New World, as well as across many other games. When picking our favourites, we paid attention to how comfortable the headset felt during extended sessions, how good the audio sounded, and we looked at any other features each headset offered. We also considered how easy it was to use each of them on different consoles and with a PC and Mac.
The best gaming headsets for 2021 are:
- Best overall – Corsair HS80: £139.99, Amazon.co.uk
- Best lightweight headset – Logitech G435: £69.99, Amazon.co.uk
- Best premium headset – JBL quantum one: £203, Jbl.com
- Best wired headset – SteelSeries arctis prime: £94.79, Amazon.co.uk
- Best budget headset – Turtle beach recon 70: £23.99, Argos.co.uk
- Best for Xbox – Corsair HS75: £169.99, Corsair.com
- Best for battery life – SteelSeries arctis 9: £179, Amazon.co.uk
- Best for tweaking – HyperX cloud II: £79.99, Currys.co.uk