This Organic September, making a planet-friendly swap to organic wine is easier than ever. Sustainable vino is produced using only certified organic grapes grown without chemical fertilisers and pesticides, making the wine better for the planet and you.
Since 2012, regulations have meant the term “organic wine” can be used on a bottle if production meets strict requirements covering everything from land management to storage.
Sales of organic wine have duly rocketed with growth almost double that of non-organic wine during 2020 according to the Soil Association. Fans even argue organic vino showcases the flavour of the grapes better than non-organic tipples.
“While there is some debate as to whether organic wine tastes differently from non-organic wine, great wine begins with how you look after your vineyards,” says Des Russo, wine manager at Humble Grape. “It takes a story to sell a bottle of wine and if organic practices are part of that journey, consumers are more likely to purchase because it makes us feel that we are contributing to the greater good by supporting those practices.”
Not only is it easier than ever to pop a bottle of organic wine (or two) in your trolley at the supermarket, it’s possible it may be kinder the morning after too.
How we tested
We taste-tested all of the wines in this round-up to guarantee a really great glass of red, white, sparkling or rosé. In particular, we wanted to find organic drinks to suit a range of budgets while retaining their eco-friendly credentials.
The best organic wines for 2021 are:
- Best overall – Symington Family Estates altano organic: £10.99, Waitrose.com
- Best budget option – Morrisons organic pinot grigio: £6.50, Morrisons.com
- Best eco-friendly wine –Sea Change organic chardonnay: £13.99, Seachangewine.com
- Best natural wine – Beck Ink, zweilgelt, st laurent: £15.20, Shopcuvee.com
- Best Fairtrade – Co-op irresistible fairtrade organic malbec: £7.50, Coop.co.uk
- Best rosé – Sainsbury’s so organic fairtrade rosé: £7, Sainsburys.co.uk
- Best chardonnay – Emiliana organic chardonnay: £48 for six bottles, Marksandspencer.com
- Best new wine – Villa Maria EarthGarden sauvignon blanc 2020: £10.50, Tesco.com
- Best hearty red – Adnams Barolo DOCG, del commune di serralunga d alba: £24.99, Adnams.co.uk
- Best for special occasions – Les Quarterons, cremant de loire brut NV: £18.50, Wickhamwine.co.uk
- Best prosecco – Castellore organic prosecco: £7.49, Aldi.co.uk
- Best range – Purato Siccari appassimento: £9.99, Ocado.com
- Best wine from New Zealand – Yealands sauvignon blanc: £9.59, Waitrosecellar.com