BT Broadband Deals August 2022
On this page
- BT Broadband offers
- How to find the best BT broadband deals
- What are the different deals offered by BT Fibre?
- What benefits can you expect from BT Broadband deals?
- What does BT Broadband offer its new customers?
- What extras does BT Broadband offer its customers?
- How to contact BT Support
BT Broadband offers
BT has millions of Wi-Fi hotspots around the UK and the firm owns a fibre broadband network, offering two main types of broadband connection that are widely-available, and a third (more exclusive) full-fibre broadband.
The BT Broadband offer is split into:
- Standard BT Broadband
- BT Fibre
- BT Full Fibre
Standard BT Broadband
If you live in an area where BT Fibre isn’t available or you’re a light internet user, then standard broadband is the right choice. It has an average download speed of 17Mb, which is enough for web browsing and streaming content.
BT Fibre was previously called BT Infinity. There are a few superfast deals available in this series, here they are:
- Fibre Essential, offering download speeds of 35-36 Mbps
- Fibre 1, offering download speeds of 49-50 Mbps
- Fibre 2, offering download speeds of 53-73 Mbps
The average speeds you will experience on each deal vary by area and you’ll need to get a personalised quote to find out what to expect where you live, but they should generally enable users to browse the web without buffering, stream TV, download films, and connect multiple devices to the network simultaneously. How many devices you can connect at once will also vary according to the speed you get from your BT Broadband deal.
Broadband speeds also vary according to the time of day (broadband speeds are often slowed down during peak hours), and the way your home is connected to the network. BT Fibre guarantees to deliver its promised a average speeds, however, and customers can claim £20 money-back if their average speed is slower than promised.
BT Full Fibre
BT offers full fibre broadband with average speeds of over 300Mbps, making use of new technology offered by Openreach. Regardless of the number of devices connected to the internet at your premises, BT Full Fibre offers a reliable and speedy broadband connection. However, BT Full Fibre Broadband is still in the process of expanding its network, so it’s currently only available in limited areas in the UK.
What makes BT Broadband different from BT Fibre?
Standard BT Broadband varies from its superfast package as the former runs on ADSL, which uses copper wires, while the latter uses fibre-optic cables to transfer data. BT Fibre is a lot faster and is now available across more than 90% of the UK.
BT Fibre is also more expensive than standard broadband because it uses fibre-optics to link the cabinet on your street to the exchange - a connection type known as Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC). From the cabinet, a copper phone line is used to connect to your home, slowing down the process. Whether you can get Fibre 1 or Fibre 2 will oftendepend on how close you are to the cabinet for this reason. Full-fibre broadband uses a method called Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband, which costs more than FTTC and delivers the fastest speeds as it only uses fibre-optic cables.
How to find the best BT broadband deals
Here are a few things you must keep in mind while choosing a broadband deal to ensure that you pick the right one:
- Check the available broadband in your area and opt for the one you require. Don’t pick a deal with faster speeds than necessary as you’ll be spending over the odds for something !
- If you’re planning to switch to a BT Broadband deal, keep tabs on your current contract’s expiration date. Switching and even renewal of the current subscription can cost more if you’re tied to a contract with exit fees. It’s good to start looking within three months of your contract term’s expiry because there will normally be a delay between applying for a new broadband deal and the switch taking place. Once your contract term is up, your broadband may get more expensive, especially if you were on a fixed or limited-time offer. Timing your switch well could mean you don’t pay any extra costs when you switch.
- Which broadband package meets your usage needs? Pick the one that offers the best balance of price, add-ons, and speeds. If you’re not a sports nut, don’t bother forking out for a deal that includes BT Sport.
- Competition between broadband providers in the market can enable you to negotiate. Negotiate prices to see if you can get a better deal than your existing provider. Tell them about other similar packages from Plusnet and TalkTalk and ask if they can match the price, add-ons, or speeds offered and you could get a better deal at a great price.
- Look out for BT Broadband offers for new customers, which sometimes include vouchers, cash-back incentives, and other freebies.
What are the different deals offered by BT Fibre?
BT offers two broadband options to most customers: BT Standard Broadband and BT Superfast Fibre. A lucky few will also be able to get a full fibre deal with BT. You’ll find the most widely-available speeds offered by BT Broadband in the table below.
|BT Broadband Offer||Average Download Speed (Mbps)||Average Upload Speed (Mbps)|
|Superfast Fibre Essential||35-36Mbps||9Mbps|
|Superfast Fibre 1||49-50Mbps||9Mbps|
|Superfast Fibre 2||53-73Mbps||18Mbps|
|Full Fibre 100||100Mbps||28Mbps|
|Full Fibre 300||150Mbps||47Mbps|
More BT Broadband packages are available to many customers, though most will only be able to sign up for speeds up to those offered by Fibre 2.
What benefits can you expect from BT Broadband deals?
You can expect to enjoy the following benefits when you sign up:
- Built-in BT Virus Protect software for your online security.
- A reliable connection that meets the minimum advertised speeds and specifications, or £20 cash-back.
- BT Smart Hub WiFi router, which will deliver fast internet around your home.
What does BT Broadband offer its new customers?
What does BT Broadband offer its new customers?
Apart from cash-back incentives and free vouchers, BT Broadband offers new customers:
BT Smart Hub
All new customers signing up for superfast fibre packages get a free BT Smart Hub Wi-Fi router which provides a reliable internet connection in your premises using 7 antennae. In addition, the BT Home Hub includes a Smart Scan feature that keeps a check on your network and reboots in the event of a problem. It also enables smart channel selection, which means it automatically connects your devices to the fastest Wi-Fi channel available.
BT Smart Hub 2
New customers who sign up for BT Ultrafast Fibre Plus or Superfast Fibre with Complete Wi-Fi get a BT Smart Hub 2 router, which otherwise retails at £200, for free.
BT Complete Wi-Fi
Deals for new as well as existing customers can also include BT’s Complete Wi-Fi for an extra charge. Complete Wi-Fi is for users living in premises with thick walls that act as an obstacle to reception, or for large houses with areas distant from the BT Home Hub getting a weak signal. Complete Wi-Fi guarantees a stable and strong reception throughout your premises.
What extras does BT Broadband offer its customers?
BT offers some great perks to all of its customers, such as:
Access to Public Wi-Fi Hotspots
BT has millions of hotspots nationwide which, if you’re a BT customer, can be accessed while you’re on the go. You simply download and log into the BT Wi-Fi app.
Online Security & Parental Controls
You can protect your family from certain content using BT Parental Controls. Another online security tool, called BT Web Protect, will also warn you in case you click on the URL of a potentially harmful website.
BT Virus Protect
Free anti-virus software called BT Virus Protect comes with all BT deals. BT Virus Protect includes the following features:
- Personal firewall, to protect your online activity from hackers.
- Parental controls, to block access to certain content or specific websites.
- Website advisor, to warn you if you’re about to open a page containing malware.
For more infromation on BT Virus Protect, see the provider’s website.
BT Broadband email
All BT packages offer customers access to BT Mail free of charge. Users can access this service from anywhere. It ensures email security and allows you to add up to 10 email addresses.
BT Cloud storage
Almost all customers get free BT Cloud storage of up to 200GB. If you’ve signed up for one of the higher-end BT broadband packages, you might get as much as 1GB of free storage with BT Cloud.
BT phone and broadband
BT offers two categories to choose from. You can either opt for a package with an active BT phone line, or you can opt for mobile broadband and avoid paying for line rental. With mobile broadband, you can get access to BT Wi-Fi hotspots nationwide free of charge.
BT broadband and phone deals are more flexible than they used to be, with current deals including:
- Pay-as-you-go option, for users who use their landline only occasionally.
- 500 minutes to any UK number (mobile or landline).
- BT Call Protect, which offers services like BT Personal Blacklist to divert cold callers to a junk voicemail. It also enables you to block unknown or unwanted callers.
How to contact BT Support
BT offers reliable customer service and support 24/7, with various options for the customers to choose from. These options include:
- Online customer support
- Customer service phone helpline
- Home tech experts
Contact BT Support online
BT offers multiple options for online support, such as video guides, a live chat service, and virtual assistants.
Contact BT Customer Service by Phone
BT’s customer service helpline is available around the clock, every day of the week. You can reach the helpline by calling 0800 328 1587, which will direct your call to BT’s closest customer support centre.
BT Home Tech Experts
If you prefer in-person guidance from an expert instead of online support, the BT Home Tech team can help you seven days a week. You can book a two-hour appointment with a tech expert and get their help with whatever issue you’re facing with your BT services. For this service, however, you have to subscribe to one of two options (both of which include an annual PC health check that otherwise costs £80):
- A monthly subscription of £8 that covers all your PC/laptop issues.
- A monthly subscription of £10 that covers issues concerning all your gadgets, including smartphones, printers, and cameras.
BT Broadband FAQs
Yes, BT offers many TV and broadband bundles. These consist of:
- Up to 50Mbps fibre broadband speeds
- Line rental
- BT TV box (that you can use to record <300 hours and watch on catch-up)
These bundles have monthly costs ranging from £38.99 to £60, depending on which bolt-ons you add. The most popular feature is BT Sport, which comes with BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2, BoxNation, and other exclusive channels. For more information on BT Sport, see the provider’s website.
BT’s broadband network covers most of the UK, so there’s a great chance that BT Broadband is available in your area. You can use the broadband postcode checker to check. Bear in mind, however, that BT Full Fibre currently has limited availability.
How to switch from your current broadband provider to BT broadband?
Switching broadband is pretty easy. You don’t even have to inform your current provider that you want to switch, unless you’re switching from Virgin Media, in which case you must inform both providers to allow them to collaborate on the switch. In this case, you may also face setup costs.
With all other broadband providers, such as TalkTalk, Plusnet, or Sky, all you need to do is sign up for your deal of choice. You’ll receive a switching date and your Smart Hub and, within two weeks, your BT internet connection will be ready to use with no setup costs.
Although BT isn’t the cheapest broadband provider, there are many BT broadband offers to choose from. An initial 24-month contract will cost less, but after this period is over, monthly costs increase. It’s best to compare deals thoroughly before you make a decision. There are many competitive internet deals to choose from, so make sure you pick on that suits your needs.
You can use our comparison tool to see which deals are available in your area. Make sure you consider the following before choosing a broadband deal:
- Broadband speed
- Setup costs
- Monthly cost
- Line rental
- Download limits